Moe than half of the inmates in one unit of the Humboldt County Jail are infected with coronavirus. Kym Kemp reports an inmate told them there are only 24 people out of 58 not infected. On Tuesday they counted 34 inmates who had tested positive. The jail is in lockdown for two weeks after someone tests positive. As we reported earlier in the week, each inmate is getting only one new mask/week. The inmate who spoke to the news site says all of the inmates who did not wear masks have been infected. And he says they’re trying to distance inmates from each other in close quarters.

2 more people in Mendocino County have died from coronavirus. The 104th death was reported in a 72 year old man from Willits who was unvaccinated, and the 105th death was in a 76 year-old man from the Fort Bragg area; also, unvaccinated. In Dr. Coren’s last public address on the pandemic he said he wouldn’t be mandating vaccinations or masking because he has found when the mandates come, so does the pushback. Instead, public health is asking residents to think about ways they are protecting themselves and their families from COVID-19. And when in doubt, consult with and follow all CDC and CDPH guidance. Vaccination, masking, and social distancing remain the best tools for combating COVID-19.

One man is dead and three other people have been hurt after a head on, DUI-suspected crash in Ukiah. The CHP reports 35 year old Ezekiel Guzman of Ukiah was traveling on Talmage Road Tuesday night about 6:45 p.m. and his 2001 Chevy Malibu crossed into the other side of traffic, hitting a 2019 Ford Fusion just east of Hastings Road.  Of the two passengers in Guzman’s car, one died. Guzman and the other passenger were taken to the hospital due to moderate injuries. None of those in the car had on a seatbelt. The Fusion driver did have their seatbelt on, but also had moderate injuries. Police say they think drugs or alcohol may have been a factor in the crash.

More than a dozen projects have been approved in Calif. to improve habitat for salmon. The California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW) says there are 15 projects getting grant funding for a total of almost $10 million as part of the agency’s Fisheries Restoration Grant Program (FRGP). The money in the past has included money for the Pacific Coastal Salmon Recovery Fund to protect and help heal Pacific salmon and steelhead throughout California, Oregon, Washington, Idaho and Alaska. The 15 approved projects will continue state and federal fisheries recovery plans.

After much discussion, there was no movement to separate Lake County’s Water Resources Department from the Department of Public Works. At the Lake County Supervisors meeting this week they discussed the federal infrastructure bill and how the money could help the two departments work on individual projects. The board had voted in 2019 to join the two departments after they were split apart in 2016. The director of both departments said he didn’t support their separation, saying he had a good team and a system in place. So it seems as though things will stay status quo.

Downtown Lakeport has a perfect place for a new mural. So, essential workers will be honored with a painting on the side of the Meals on Wheels Thrift Store. The Lake County Arts Council is partnering with the city of Lakeport, Lake County Rural Arts Initiative and the Lake Family Resource Center for the installation of the new mural on a giant wall facing First Street. $8,000 has been awarded for the artist for labor and materials. They will choose the muralist after a call to submit proposals. They hope to have that done by March and the mural complete by May.

The Governor and other higher-ups are working to fight the swift spread of the omicron variant. The President has also promised the fed would be sending rapid tests out to states for free. All as Gov. Newsom announces all California health care workers will have to get boosters. The mayor of San Jose is also considering the state’s first city booster mandate. Omicron is in all 50 states now is said to double its numbers each day. It’s not as prevalent apparently here in California as other states. President Joe Biden said earlier this week we should be concerned, but not panicked about omicron. Dr. Anthony Fauci said large holiday gatherings are a bad idea.

Like the Mendocino County Public Health Officer before him, the Acting Public Health Officer in Lake County, Dr. Charlie Evans is warning about the virus ahead of the holidays. Dr. Evans did say however that omicron had surfaced in Sonoma, Napa, and Marin, and is likely in Lake County, but not confirmed. He says most of the cases are still the delta variant. In Lake County cases of the virus had been down in November compared to the three months before, went up right after Thanksgiving and appeared to go down, but are up again. Dr. Evans says he expects a serious increase in cases the next few weeks.

A Mendocino Unified school teacher has added on to her achievements, by becoming a volunteer Firefighter and Medical Responder. Seneca Sluis is a special education teacher, working in the school district since 2014 and has now joined the Mendocino Volunteer Fire Department. The Daily Journal reports she was first a Medical Responder, then went for the full training to also fight fires. She had already been an Emergency Medical Technician.

A man from Lakeport accused of having child pornography, has pleaded no contest. 59 year old Jeffery Cramer pleaded in March and was sentenced this week to a lesser charge, but there was a witness. Cramer is no longer in custody and because of the pandemic and apparently its impact on his lawyer, the sentencing was delayed. Now it will be January 20th instead. Since he pleaded with a so-called Harvey Waiver it means the court can still consider the earlier charges against him. As you may recall, Cramer is the previous owner of Main Street Bicycles in Lakeport, where items were confiscated.

A former Kelseyville High music teacher accused of having sex with and molesting a minor will hear his punishment after the holidays. It’s been two years since the alleged incidents involving Cory Cunningham who was then charged with sexual penetration of a minor, contacting minor with intent for sex and molesting child under 18 years old. Another charge of abuse — endangering a child with gross bodily injury has been dismissed. He was arrested in December of 2019, jailed and placed on leave from his job. It’s all continued until January 7th now due to the pandemic. In October he pleaded not guilty and denied special allegations.

Related Posts

Loading...

Listen Live